Trahanas is the ultimate Mediterranean soup recipe and one of the oldest that are known in the area! Is a traditional Greek and Cypriot dish that has passed from generation to generation.
Traditionally is made of fermented mixture of grain and yoghurt or fermented milk, usually made into a thick soup with extra milk or water.
We are so proud to share with you our gluten free vegan version of this delicious super food dish! Actually to tell you the truth, just like all the great discoveries were made by accident, our trahanas as well was accidentally made due to a mistake 😊! While we were preparing our vegan ‘fetta cheese’ we had to soak almonds with no skin but we forgot to peel them off, so we continue the procedure with whole almonds. The taste of the final product was surprisingly good so we had the idea to use the wrong ‘fetta’ recipe to make a soup.
This was really close to trahana soup we used to enjoy since we were kids! With some key ingredients we added, our gluten free trahanas turned into a fantastic dish! It deserves a try!
- 140 g raw almonds, with skin, and soaked in water for 12 hours
- 100g cashews soaked in water for 4 hours
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple sider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan probiotics
- 1 litre water
- 2 tablespoons organic vegetable stock powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
- 4 tablespoons vegan yogurt + 4 tablespoons for topping
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Drain almonds and cashews, add them to the food processor, then add lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, blend until the mixture becomes creamy. With a spatula, scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add the trahana mixture in a glass bowl. Then add probiotics with a plastic spoon and mix.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic film and put it in the oven for 3 hours at 50 °. Let it rest in the oven covered with a towel. Check every 2 hours until have the necessary acidity according to your taste. The result depends on the room temperature. (See note).
- Transfer the trahana into a freezer bag and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Add 1 litre of water in a large saucepan and bring it to boil on high heat, add trahana, vegetable stock powder, tomato paste, vegan yogurt, salt. Simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a blender, and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings adding salt if needed.
- Serve very hot with with 1-2 tablespoons vegan yogurt and freshly ground black pepper on top.