Oyster mushrooms with carob syrup & mashed potatoes
- 5 potatoes medium size
- 1 leek
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- juice of ½ lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 500 gr oyster mushrooms
- 1 big onion
- Peppers of different colors (½ yellow, ½ orange, ½ red)
- 1 Carrot
- 3-4 tablespoon olive oil for frying
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dry thyme
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 5 tablespoons carob syrup or agave syrup
- Salt, Pepper
- 80 ml water
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes. Place potatoes in a large saucepan, Chop the leeks add them to the potatoes and cover with hot water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, add 1 tsp of sea salt, vegetable broth, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until very tender.
- Once tender, drain your potatoes and place them back in the hot pot off the heat for 1 minute to evaporate any additional water. Then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash your potatoes using a potato masher.
- Add in olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Finely chop the onion. Add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Then add onion and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are caramelized. Add 2 tablespoons of carob syrup, stir well, remove the onions from pan and set aside.
- Cut the mushrooms into long strips. Add the mushrooms in the large saucepan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook for about 2-3 minutes, add the cooked onions bay leafs, thyme, garlic, ginger, the rest of the carob syrup, salt, pepper and water.
- Lower heat for about 15 minutes and cover with the lid.
- Slice the peppers into thin strips and the carrot into long sticks. When the mushrooms are ready add the peppers and carrots in the saucepan and cook for one minute.
- Dissolve the corn flour in 4 tablespoons of water and pour into the pan. Stir well, cook for another one minute. Set aside.