Turmeric – 1 tbsp contains 24 calories.
Several studies have shown that turmeric:
- Has antioxidant properties that neutralize free radicals.
- Has Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Reduces cholesterol levels.
- Prevents gallstones, spastic colitis and other diseases of the gastrointestinal system.
- Is considered beneficial in Alzheimer’s patients as it may stop the further development of the disease by preventing the accumulation of beta amyloid protein in the brain.
- Accelerates the production of insulin by the pancreas and helps the substantially non-insulin dependent diabetes in the elderly.
- Protects the liver from toxins.
- Has antiseptic properties if carefully applied onto a wound.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory action, may help patients suffering from various forms of arthritis.
Nutrition analysis by Polyvios Nikolaou Dietitian – Nutritionist BSc